How does a card with no pre-set spending limit sound? Just pay your balance in full each month and enjoy the benefits of the American Express Gold card.
As of the 1st of October 2014, American Express Gold Card will no longer be available for applications as this credit card is no longer available to new customers. The information provided and cards cannot be applied for, however, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.
If you would like to compare other cards credit cards: Click here.
With rewards points and a competitive annual fee, you might wonder what the interest rate a card like this might bring. But as a charge card, the American Express Gold lets you enjoy all the advantages that come with a credit card—rewards, online shopping, and quick access to finance—without the costs that come with paying your balance back at an interest rate. All you have to do is pay your balance back in full each month and you get access to a card with no pre-set spending limit.
The American Express Gold Charge Card review
The American Express Gold card, as outlined above, is a charge card which requires you to pay your balance back in full each month. The card comes with an annual fee of $130 and access to the American Express Ascent rewards program as well as a range complimentary insurance covers and travel benefits.
Your spending limit will be determined on a case-by-case basis by American Express and based on a few factors, including your spending patterns, credit records, payment history and financial resources.
The Membership Rewards Ascent Program
When you make purchases using your American Express Gold card you can earn rewards points through Membership Rewards Ascent. For a membership fee of $80 you can link your card to the program and earn 1.00 point per dollar spent on eligible purchases. Purchases which are considered ineligible include utilities, insurance, telecommunication and government purchases and will earn you 0.50 points per $1 spent.
There’s no limit on the amount of points you can earn and the points will not expire. Through Membership Rewards Ascent, you’ll be able to use your points to redeem the following:
- Redeem travel rewards through Travelscene, American Express and Harvey World Travel, online with Webjet or through American Express’ online booking service
- Shop with over 20 gift card partners
- Pay off the balance of your card
Transfer your points to any of the airlines partner programs and frequent guest programs, which include:
|Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer||Emirates Skywards||Etihad Guest|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||Singapore Airlines Krisflyer||Air New Zealand AirPoints|
|THAI Royal Orchid Plus||Malaysia Airlines Enrich||Cathay Pacific Asia Miles|
|Hilton Honors||Starwood Preferred Guest||Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts|
Complimentary insurance cover
- Overseas travel and accident insurance. This covers you and your family when travelling overseas.
- Travel inconvenience cover. If you miss your flight or experience flight delays, missed connections or delayed luggage, you’ll be covered.
- Refund protection. Your account will be credited if you’re refused a refund on an unused eligible item if its within 90 days of purchasing the item.
- Purchase protection. If you purchase an item with your card and its accidentally stolen or broken within 90 days of purchase, you’ll be covered for the repairs or refund.
- Buyer’s advantage. This essentially extends the manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months when you purchase eligible items with your Gold card.
Features of the American Express Gold card
- Account access. You can access and manage your account using your mobile or computer to view transactions, schedule payments or track your rewards-earning and redemption.
- Emergency card replacement. If you lose your card, you can usually have it replaced within 48 hours no matter where you are in the world.
- Account alerts. You can sign up for instant alerts to track and manage your account conveniently, for no additional cost.
- Payment options. You can pay using the Chip, PIN and contactless features provided with your card to make quick and secure payments wherever American Express is accepted.
- Global support. Wherever you are in the world you’ll be able to reach American Express for assistance with your account during the day or night.
How to apply for the American Express Gold card
If you’d like to apply for the American Express Gold card, you can click ‘Go to Site’ to be directed to the online application form. Before you do, check you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are over the age of 18
- You are an Australian permanent resident
- You earn a pre-tax income of $50,000 or more
- You have no history of bad debt or payment defaults
- If you’re self-employed, you’ve been trading for 18 months or more, or 12 months or more if you hold an existing American Express card.
- The application form will take approximately ten minutes to complete and you’ll be advised of the outcome within 60 seconds.