The American Express Platinum Rewards card is no longer available. Discover how you can earn points and save with other American Express cards here.
Important InformationThe American Express Platinum Rewards Credit Card is no longer available for new customers. The credit card cannot be applied for, however, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.
If you would like to compare the current range of American Express credit cards: click here.
Use the American Express Platinum Rewards credit card to earn points to redeem for a variety of rewards while saving money through special promotions. With an exclusive offer from American Express, you can also look forward to receiving bonus points if you apply for the card before .
You will also have the $80 annual fee waived for the first year and get a promotional rate of 0.99% p.a. on balance transfers for 6 months. As a cardholder you’ll also enjoy interest-free days, complimentary supplementary cards and fraud protection.
American Express Platinum Rewards credit card review
American Express Platinum Rewards credit card provides reward points at a competitive cost. Applicants get to experiment with the card for one year at zero annual cost and decide if the card suits their buying habits. If they collect enough points on the card, they can keep the card at an annual fee of $80 from second year. The reward point’s structure is also suitable in our everyday life where points can be earned for almost every expense. Additional purchase insurance on purchases also helps shoppers. Supplementary cards can be used to ensure all the expenses of the household take place through a single account and earn points.
However, this card does not have complimentary travel insurance which can entail additional out of pocket expense for frequent flyers.
Benefits of American Express Platinum Rewards credit card
Some of the benefits of this card are:
- Reward points. Cardholders will be rewarded as they spend and can earn up to points per dollar spent. You can also earn points per dollar spent on utility bills.
- $0 annual fee. Cardholders can test how the card works for them without paying an annual fee for the first year.
- Airline rewards. Frequent travellers will be happy to know that your points can be used to shop for thousands of products online or can be redeemed with nine airline rewards partner programs.
- Additional cards. You can get a hold of four additional cards at no extra cost. This can be a good way for families to spend and pool points under the same account.
- Refund and Purchase Protection. If goods bought on the card are stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase, they will be repaired or the cost refunded.
Features of American Express Platinum Rewards credit card
Some of the features of this card are:
- Fraud protection. If there is any unusual activity on card, customers are not held accountable for unauthorised charges when they inform the firm about it.
- Interest-free days. The card comes with 55 interest-free days which can reduce the interest cost on purchases.
- Emergency card replacement. If the card is lost or stolen, it can be replaced virtually anywhere in the world within 48 hours.
- Interest rate. The interest rate on purchases is 20.74% p.a.
Frequently asked questions
How can I transfer my points to another airline rewards program?
To transfer points to another airline reward program you need to be a member of that partner program. The points can then be transferred, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable program.
Is there any cancellation fee if I do not want to go for a second year on this card?
There are no additional cancellation charges on this card however you need to repay the balance in full before starting the cancellation process.
Which are the stores which earn higher earn rates of 2 points per dollar spent?
The higher earn rates are available at participating stores. The “major supermarkets” classified for this rate are: Bi-Lo, Flemings, Safeway, Woolworths, Coles, IGA, Franklins, Fishers, Fresh Provisions, Food for Less, Supabarn, Macro Wholefoods. “Major petrol station” providing this earn rate are: BP, Shell, Caltex, Woolworths Petrol, Safeway Petrol, Peak & Gull.