Now you can use your American Express credit card rewards points to shop online at Amazon.com
Senior Vice President and General Manager of Membership Rewards Division of American Express, Lynne Biggar, announced that starting September 13, 2010 Amex card members can use billion of points accumulated towards millions of items found in Amazon.com.
According to Ms. Biggar, the American Express Membership Rewards Program is taking a major evolution with this new payment system. The Rewards Program started focusing solely on travel and has since expanded to include entertainment, retail, wining and dining as well as include other options of redemption. This major milestone adds more flexibility and choice to Amex card members to purchase anything you can find in Amazon.com from books, to Kindles, sporting goods and electronic items.
How to Shop With Amazon.com Using Amex Reward Points
To start shopping with your Amex Reward points, simply link your American Express Membership Rewards account with your Amazon.com account. Then follow these three easy steps:
- Log on to www.amazon.com/membershiprewards using your existing Amazon.com account. If you do not have an existing account, you can create one.
- Follow the instructions found on the page on how to link your Membership Rewards account with your Amazon.com account. Linking is simply done once.
- After linking the two accounts successfully, you can immediately use your reward points every time you shop online at Amazon.com.
A New Way to Shop with American Express at Amazon.com
According to Matt Swann, vice president and general manager for Global Payments at Amazon.com, “Amex card members will find it very convenient to shop at Amazon.com using their accrued points.”
The launch of this new benefit will make delivery and purchase faster plus card member will appreciate the vast selection of products available for rewards shopping.
Point can be used to purchase different items in various categories such as Home; Electronics; Kindle; Books; Music and Games; Movies; Kids and Baby; Health and Beauty; Garden and Pets; Toys; Tools and Home Improvement; Auto and Industrial; Sports and Outdoors and Clothing, Shoes and Jewellery.
Aside from this new breakthrough, card members can still continue to use points in over 500 brands in popular categories such as Retail, Travel, Dining and Entertainment and Charities.
Where the Idea Started
Way back in 2005, the concept on Membership Rewards Pay with Points started. The concept introduced the use of points to purchase flights, cruises, hotel accommodations and vacation packages charged americanexpress.com/travel. Since the program was launched, it has gained a lot of popularity among card members.
About American Express Membership Rewards Program
Amex Membership Rewards Program offers more than 500 brands to its card members to use their points for redemption. A point is earned for every AU$1.06 charged on an American Express credit card. There are also a number of opportunities to earn points faster. Card members can choose from a wide selection of reward categories where they can redeem their points earned. What is good about the rewards program is that American Express does not set any limit to the number of points you earn. It also does not set any expiration on the points earned. For more details on the Membership Rewards Program, visit www.membershiprewards.com. You may also call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).
Using Amex Membership Reward Points at Amazon.com
“Shop with Points” refers to the new way to pay for purchases made at Amazon.com. Customers need to do a one-time registration before using reward points to pay for an order. It works the same way as any other payment method.
“Shop with Points” can generally purchase items at Amazon.com except for a chosen few such as selected digital goods, gift certificates, Subscribe and Save items, Kindle downloads, and AmazonFresh. Aside from these, you may not also use one click when purchasing items using “Shop with Points.”
Some points to consider when using “Shop with Points”:
- In the event you encounter an error message during registration, just follow the instructions found on the error message.
- Primary cardholders have the option to remove any rights of other cardholders under the same account. Just contact American Express to change any rights of other card users to “Shop with Points” program.
- To check your “Shop with Points” enrolment status, just go to “Your Account” page. Click on the “Shop with Points” link. From this page, you can view the account enrolled in the rewards program as well as your point balances. In case you do not see your American Express rewards program account, you should register again with both your card and rewards account. You may also contact American Express to discuss details on the status of your account.
- Any concerns regarding your reward account must be coursed through American Express’ Customer Service Centre at 1-800-AXP-EARN (1-800-297-3276).
- In order to use reward points, your American Express credit card must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards program first. If you have any questions regarding each of your cards, please call the phone number located at the back of your card.
- In case you cannot view any available Membership Rewards points on the payments page, simply check your point balance. If it falls below 2 points, you will not able to see it. In case there is an error on the point balance displayed, please contact American Express through the phone number found at the back of your card.
- Please note that using your American Express Membership Reward Points on Amazon.com is absolutely free.
- Even if you fully pay your purchases using reward points, you still need to specify your American Express card linked to your Amazon.com account. Do not worry, the card would not incur any charges unless you upgrade your order and the cost increases, like shipping upgrades. This will then be automatically charge to your Amex credit card.
American Express Rewards Credit Card Offer
The American Express Qantas Ultimate card allows you to receive up to 50,000 extra Qantas Frequent Flyer points.
- $450 p.a. annual fee
- 20.74% p.a. on purchases
- 0.99% p.a. for 6 months with 1% balance transfer fee on balance transfers
- Up to 44 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $65,000 p.a.