ANZ American Express Credit CardsPosted March 14th, 2011 and last modified March 4th, 2013
Credit Card Deals
The Australia New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. is one of the leaders in the Australian banking market. As such, ANZ are able to offer their customers the prestigious American Express credit card. Amex cards offer their users increased spending power in addition to superior rewards and great services and privileges that are simply not available with other credit cards.
How Do ANZ Amex Credit Cards Work?
If you are an existing customer with ANZ and already have an ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa account, you are able to decide whether or not you would like to add a second card to your account. This second card would be an ANZ Frequent Flyer American Express credit card.
Having an additional credit card attached to the same account can have a lot of great benefits. Let’s review some of them now:
- Because both of your credit cards are on the same account, you will only have to pay one annual fee for the two cards. This will save you money in the long run, as you are essentially getting two credit cards but only paying the fees for one single card.
- You will not have to deal with having multiple bank statements. Any transactions that are made on either credit card will be shown on one account statement. You will not have the stress of sorting through multiple statements, as everything will be listed clearly and concisely on one single statement.
- With these two credit cards, you will actually only have a single credit limit. Your existing credit limit will not change if you decide that you want to add the ANZ American Express Frequent Flyer credit card to your account. You will be able to take advantage of the simplicity of having only one limit for these two great credit cards.
- Your rewards will be greater as you will be earning reward points on two amazing credit cards, but having the simplicity of just having one primary account.
ANZ American Express Credit Cards
Essentially, you are able to get two credit cards on only one existing account. Just like any other credit card, you will be able to use your ANZ Visa Frequent Flyer card and the ANZ American Express Frequent Flyer card to make purchases online at millions of different locations anywhere around the world. You can pay for petrol at your local petrol station, buy an airline ticket online or pay for a meal in London. It really is as easy as that. You can have the great worldwide service of Visa coupled with the excellent rewards and prestige of an Amex credit card.
Sometimes, the American Express card is not accepted by certain merchants. This is because it is more costly for merchants to have transactions by Amex processed. But that is not a problem, as you can just charge the purchase to your Frequent Flyer Visa credit card from ANZ instead.
Having two of these great products allows you to have the very best of the worlds credit cards at your disposal at all times.
How Do I Earn Rewards Points?
American Express are world famous for the amazing rewards that they are able to give to their customers. The reward system with the Frequent Flyer American Express from ANZ is even better.
For every $1.00 of your purchase, you will be able to earn at least 1 Qantas reward point for the Frequent Flyer program. In addition to this, you will probably have learnt that some credit card providers have a cap on the amount of rewards, but with the American Express card from ANZ, there is not a limit on the amount of reward points that you are able to earn with this great credit card.
Because of this, using the American Express Frequent Flyer card from ANZ is a great way to earn a very high amount of reward points in a very short amount of time. Also, if you use the card to make a purchase with one of the Frequent Flyer Bonus Partners in Australia, like Qantas Airways, then you are even able to earn unlimited bonus reward points with your purchase.
Where Can I Use My ANZ Amex?
Your Frequent Flyer Amex from ANZ can be used at locations throughout Australia, from petrol stations to supermarkets to cinemas. You can use your ANZ Amex at these locations and more:
- The Supermarket: Coles, Franklins, Woolworths and IGA
- The Petrol Station: Coles Express, Mobil, BP and Peak
- For Communications and Utilities: Suncorp, Telstra, 3 Australia, Energy Australia and Vodafone
- Electronics and Furniture Stores: Harvey Norman, EB Games, Plush, Bay Swiss, Winning Appliances, Sony Centre and Virgin
- Department Stores: Kmart, Target, Best and Less, David Jones and Target
- Retail Stores: Officeworks, Sportsgirl, Country Road, Peter Alexander and JAG
- For Entertainment: Dreamworld, Ticketmaster, Sydney Aquarium, Australia Zoo, Warner Brothers Studio, Village Cinemas and Wild Life World
Be sure to look for the American Express logo when you are making your next purchase. Or you can go to the American Express Network online to see where your ANZ Amex credit card can be used.
Are There Benefits That Come With My ANZ Amex?
Of course there are! There are a lot of benefits that come with your Amex card. Not only do you get a great credit card with an amazing rewards points scheme, you also get a huge variety of benefits as an ANZ American Express Frequent Flyer card holder.
If you register for American Express Selects, you will be able to take advantage of some amazing privileges that are available to you from anywhere in the world. You will be able to have access to exclusive offers for travel, dining, entertainment and shopping. You will also be able to see the most up to date reviews on restaurants and hear the professional opinions of some of the top chefs in Australia. Registering for American Express Selects, will enable you to receive information on upcoming promotions and competitions that are available to you and are designed to allow you to make the most of your card and to get more in return.
In addition to this, there is entré™, which was created for ANZ Platinum Frequent Flyer card holders. This exclusive and prestigious program offers customers a whole variety of privileges and offers for leisure and travel. By having an ANZ Platinum Frequent Flyer Amex, you are able to access exclusive savings on renting vehicles, upgrades and extra amenities for stays at premium hotel resorts and more. Also, you will be able to choose from a huge selection of unique travel and leisure activities, that include once in a lifetime thrill-seeking adventures, amazing far-reaching travel options and also relaxing pursuits. All of these will be fulfilled for you by the dedicated team of professional concierges.
How Are Purchases Made With My ANZ Amex?
A lot of credit cards require you to remember different PIN numbers or pass codes. But, at the moment, the new ANZ Amex Frequent Flyer credit card does not have a pin. When you are making a purchase with your American Express credit card, you have to sign to make the transaction.
There may be a surcharge for you to use your American Express card with certain merchants. If you want to earn additional reward points, then you should use your Amex card and accept this additional surcharge. If you do not want to pay the surcharge, or if it is a lower fee for a Visa transaction, then you should use your ANZ Visa Frequent Flyer card instead. You will still be able to earn the Qantas reward points for the Frequent Flyer program, but they may be at a rate that is lower compared to using your Amex card.
Sometimes merchants will not accept the American Express credit cards at all. This can be rectified by using the ANZ Visa card instead, if credit cards are accepted. However, at the moment, American Express is employing dedicated teams that are working very diligently to greater increase the variety of vendors and merchants that will accept your ANZ Amex credit card.
How Will My Account Change By Getting The ANZ Amex?
To make it easier for you, as a customer, the changes to your account will be kept to the very minimal when you sign up for the new ANZ Amex Frequent Flyer card to be added to your account.
Your Total Annual Fee will stay the same, and there will not be any changes because of the additional credit card that is being added to your account. If any fee increases are applicable to your account at a later stage, they will only be applied according to the Conditions of Use for ANZ credit cards, and you will be given 30 days notification prior to any of these changes taking effect. on your account
Your Total Annual Fee is the amount of your Annual Account Fee and the service fee for your ANZ Frequent Flyer Reward Program. This fee will vary depending on the ANZ products and services that you hold.
If you have an upgrade to an ANZ Frequent Flyer Gold account or to the Platinum account, or if you have accepted a Points Booster offer, then your Total Annual Fee will be changed according to the new product that you hold.
Will Having Two Credit Cards Be A Hassle?
ANZ aims to make it easier for their customers to benefit from having two great credit cards for their use. Since both credit cards will be under one account, you will only have one monthly statement for your ANZ American Express Frequent Flyer and Frequent Flyer Visa. With only one statement, it will be a lot simpler for you to track your spending and also how many points you have accumulated over the month.
Also, your credit limit will be the same. Your existing credit limit will be shared between both the American Express and Visa credit cards. Any transaction that you make on either credit card will go toward your current outstanding balance. This makes it a lot easier for you to budget, as your credit limit does not change with the addition of a second credit card.
An important thing to remember is that if you are upgrading your account to a Gold or Platinum Frequent Flyer account, then there will be two entirely new credit cards issued to you. If you have regular payments that are set up, you will need to contact any merchants to advise them of your new credit card information, and to let them know that any future transactions should be charged to the new credit cards. The account for your old credit card will then be closed and no future transactions will be able to be processed as soon as one of the following occurs: once your new credit card(s) is activated, once your new credit card(s) is used for its first transaction or after 14 days from when your new account is set up.
If you have additional cardholders on your ANZ account, then they will also receive the Frequent Flyer Amex card when you choose to add an additional credit card to your account. This is applicable to all additional cardholders on your account.
If you have an ANZ Frequent Flyers Diners Club credit card, the American Express will not replace it. The Diners Club card will operate in the way that it always has.
The interest rate for your new American Express credit card will be the same as it is for your ANZ Visa, since both credit cards are lined on the same account. Any transaction that is made using your new ANZ Frequent Flyer Amex will be charged the same interest rate that is currently applicable to your ANZ Visa Frequent Flyer card. Again, since both credit cards are on the same account, the interest rate will be exactly the same for both of the cards.
Also, to increase the ease of use for you, there will not be any changes to how you use your Frequent Flyer Visa from ANZ, nor will there be any changes in the way that you are able to access your Frequent Flyer rewards account. If you wish to use your Visa at an ATM, then you can use your Visa card and your current PIN code. None of this will change with the addition of another card. If you wish to use the Internet Banking, Telephone Banking or Mobile Banking with ANZ, then you can use your existing information (your Customer Registration Number and current password) to use these services. You will not need to change the way that you access any of ANZ’s services with your Frequent Flyer Visa from ANZ.
I’m Worried About Credit Card Security
Credit card security is a priority for ANZ, as we want to keep our customers as safe as possible. As such, when you have an ANZ Frequent Flyer credit card, every transaction is monitored and each purchase that you make is covered by security from ANZ. Let’s review some of the security measure that ANZ has in place for their customers:
- ANZ Falcon service is a security monitor that works 24 hours, every day, and monitors the transactions that occur on your card and checks for any suspicious ones. This service monitors any overseas transactions, so you need not worry if you are on holiday. It also assesses online and telephone transactions that are made with your credit cards.
- The ANZ Fraud Moneyback Guarantee covers you so that you will not be responsible for fraudulent or unauthorised purchases that are made on the Internet. This is provided that you did not contribute in any way to the incident and that you notify ANZ in a reasonable time period when you suspect any fraud of misuse on your Frequent Flyer cards.
- The American Express Frequent Flyer credit card now comes with a holographic magnetic strip at the back side of the card. This has replaced the standard magnetic tape that was on the back of the cards, and offers the card user an extra security measure that protects you and your credit card against any counterfeiting that might occur.
Is The Frequent Flyer Amex From ANZ Right For Me?
This great opportunity to have an ANZ Visa and Amex Frequent Flyer on the same account is a great way for you to benefit from the worldwide service that these two leading credit cards have to offer their customers. With the added convenience of having an extra credit card that offers benefits and excellent security, choosing to add the American Express card to your existing ANZ account is a great idea for any eligible customer.
In addition to this, you will be able to earn a large number of reward points with the prestigious American Express and also to be able to benefit from the worldwide acceptance of the Visa credit card. The great thing about this offer of having two cards is that you will be able to take advantage of both cards without having to pay for both of them. Since they both are on one account, as a customer, you only have to pay one set of fees.
To find out if the ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa and American Express are right for you, contact your local branch of ANZ today to request further information.
Image source: Mess+Noise
Was this content helpful to you?
Was this content helpful to you?
Ask a Question
Was this content helpful to you?
Was this content helpful to you?
American Express Credit Cards Deals
Subscribe to our newsletter and get "The Ultimate Guide to Balance Transfers"
If You Like This Post...
Get all the latest deals, guides and loopholes in Finder's free bi-monthly email. Don't miss out - join the thousands who get it emailed!
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards CreditCardFinder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.