The Top Commonwealth Bank personal credit card features*
The Commonwealth Bank is one of the major Four Banks in Australia and therefore provides all sorts of features for cardholders who use a CBA gold or platinum credit card. If you are either a Visa, Mastercard or American Express cardholder, the following review will lay out what to expect if you are a user of a Commonwealth credit card.
- Anti-fraud activity. Every Commonwealth credit card guarantees protection against fraudulent use. Features of Commonwealth Bank credit cards are aimed at reducing the possibility of fraud happening in the first place. This includes 24-hour monitoring of accounts where suspicious transactions are flagged, and the cardholder is notified before the transaction is approved.
Circumstances where suspicions may be raised are when spending on card is detected in an unknown location or the amount being spent are higher than normal.
- Secure Sentinel protection. This CBA credit card feature provides protection against fraud by using your information to cross check your transactions and see if there are any irregularities. You must sign up and register your details, then Secure Sentinel can protect not just your credit cards, but also your important documents and valuables. Secure Sentinel includes the following:
- SecureCard. Cancellation and protection against fraudulent use of lost or stolen cards, and help with reissuing them.
- SecurePhone. Blocks the use of lost or stolen mobile phones and helps in locating them.
- SecureKeys. Helps in the return of lost keys.
- SecurePassport. A renewal and reminder service.
- SecureDocument and SecureValuable. A registration service that keeps a record of your documents and valuables.
- SecureLuggage. Coded luggage tags help to keep track of your luggage.
- Purchase security insurance. This is a CBA Gold and Platinum credit card feature, providing cover against most lost, damaged or stolen items that are bought with the relevant Commonwealth credit card within ninety days of purchase.
- Award points. You can earn up to 1.5 awards points for every $1 spent on the Commonwealth Bank Awards American Express Credit Card. And up to 1 award point for every $1 spent on the Commonwealth Bank Awards MasterCard.
- Interest-free period. You will have up to 55 days interest-free on purchases and most bill payments.
- Shop online safely. CBA credit cards are guaranteed to be safe and therefore you will never be held liable for fraudulent use of your credit card.. When using your MasterCard or Visa card, secure internet shopping offers peace of mind when you buy online. You’ll just have to look for the MasterCard SecureCode logo or Verified by Visa logo on the website you are purchasing from. When you’re ready to buy, simply enter your Visa Password or MasterCard SecureCode.
- Free additional cardholder. If you need an additional cardholder and own a Low Fee, Low Fee Gold, Low Rate or Low Rate Gold credit card, you’ll get this service for free. For Awards, Gold Awards, Platinum Awards and Diamond Awards cards, the additional cardholder fee is only $15 p.a.
- Emergency travel assistance. If you have an American Express Commonwealth Card you will have access to the Emergency Travel Assistance feature. This means when you’re overseas, the bank can refer you to a local lawyer whenever you need it. This includes giving you his name, address and telephone number. And whenever possible you’ll be given the details of two or more lawyers. Plus you also can be referred to an interpreter, and in any case the bank can dispatch an interpreter, although additional costs may apply. On the other hand, if you lose your airline ticket Emergency Travel Assistance will provide you with assistance replacing your lost tickets by referral to a travel agent, airline or other authority. CBA Gold credit card holders benefit from International Travel Insurance on trips up to 3 months, whilst platinum cardholders enjoy cover on trips up to 12 months. This is a great CBA credit card feature that goes a long way to offsetting the cost of CBA card’s annual fee. Platinum cardholders also get free Interstate Flight Inconvenience Insurance, Transit Accident Insurance (international travel only), and a Guaranteed Pricing Scheme.
- Insure your card with CreditCard Plus. This feature provides you with insurance for your credit card. Although it does have a cost, it’s designed to help you meet your minimum monthly credit card repayments if you suffer total temporary disablement because of an injury, illness or if you are involuntarily unemployed.
- Transactions updated instantly. Your Commonwealth Bank Credit Card gives instant transaction updates, 24/7, 365 days a year, excluding manual transactions and some contactless payments. There’s no more waiting overnight or until Tuesday to see your weekend transactions. With instant updates, you’ll always know where you stand.
- Transactions updated instantly. This is a new CBA feature which will help you track those payments you don’t remember making. With the help of search technology and your credit card statement, you can monitor exactly where and when you spent on your card, and how much.
- Alerts. To be sure you never miss your credit card payment again you can set up a custom alert and payment reminder through CBA. Once you’ve activated the alerts, you will receive an SMS or email five days before your credit card payment is due.
- Extended warranty insurance. Gold and platinum credit cardholders will also benefit from an extended warranty of up to a year beyond the manufacturer’s warranty when items are bought with the relevant Commonwealth credit card. So make sure to double check before you buy.
- Platinum Connection. This CBA credit card feature provides the platinum cardholder with free access to a personal assistance service 24/7 anywhere in the world.
How to apply
See further details if you’re interested in applying for a Commonwealth Bank Credit Card. You will need to provide two forms of ID, personal contact details, employment details and your financial details.Back to top