Debit cards are a good way to spend your own money while keeping the flexibility of a credit card. Find out more about ING DIRECT’s debit card.
On some of the accounts offered with ING DIRECT, you have the option of using a Visa debit card. This allows you to use your own money in stores, over the internet, via telephone and wherever else Visa cards are accepted.ING DIRECT is Australia’s fifth largest mortgage lender and has over 1.4 million customers. It’s an online bank, meaning it relies on simple internet and telephone banking when you need to carry out your banking.
Compare ING DIRECT Transaction Accounts with Debit Cards
The ING DIRECT Visa Debit Card is available with the following accounts:
- The Orange Everyday account. This account is a transaction account with no monthly fees. It also allows you to carry out your banking online, over the phone or at an Australia Post Bank@Post outlet.
How does the ING DIRECT Visa Debit Card work?
A debit card functions in the same way as a credit card with one exception – you use your own money. There’s no ability to borrow money with a debit card, so you can’t spend more than you have.
When you pay for an item at a store, over the phone or on the internet you use your card number, PIN or signature as you would with a credit card.
To get your ING DIRECT Visa Debit Card working, all you need to do is deposit money into your account, and then activate your card online or by calling ING DIRECT. Once this is done your card is ready to use.
Things to consider about an ING DIRECT debit card
An ING DIRECT debit card has a number of features which will help to make your life easier. These include:
- Visa payWave. The payWave feature means you can make contactless payments by swiping your card rather than having to sign or key in your PIN. Rather than using cash for smaller purchases, payWave gives you an alternative which makes it easier to track, because all of your transactions are recorded online in your internet banking.
- Visa Entertainment. Visa Entertainment is an exclusive service which helps cardholders get access to pre-sale concerts, sporting and other entertainment events.
There are also features on the ING DIRECT Visa Debit Card designed to make your shopping more secure, including:
- Chip security. A chip makes it harder for credit card scammers to get access to your information, and means you’re better protected when shopping.
- Zero Liability. If you press the ‘credit’ button when shopping in a store, overseas or over the phone you can use Visa’s Zero Liability policy, which means you won’t be held responsible for fraudulent purchases.
- Online Shopping Guarantee. If you’re shopping online, you’re also covered against fraudulent purchases. All you need to do is report any suspicious transactions to ING DIRECT.
How to apply for an ING DIRECT Visa Debit Card
Obtaining an ING DIRECT Debit Card involves applying for an eligible transaction account. These usually have the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be an Australian resident
- You must be 18 years old
- You must have an Australian residential address
- You must have an Australian mobile phone
You can link a debit card to up to two Orange Everyday accounts, and can be applied for online.
A debit card can allow you to spend your money more freely, giving you the chance to take advantage of online deals and more, all the while only giving you access to your own money.