Pick up frequent flyer points while doing the grocery shopping
Groceries can be a costly chore, so you may as well earn some rewards along the way. If your favourite supermarket is partnered with a bank or frequent flyer program, you could be earning points at the checkout when you’re picking up a few groceries or completing your weekly shop.
Compare supermarket credit cards
Rates last updated September 24th, 2016.
- Coles Low Rate MasterCard
Purchase rate has been updated from 12.99 to 9.99% p.a.
February 10th, 2016
- Coles No Annual Fee MasterCard
New offer of 10,000 bonus points which is valid until 30 September 2016.
September 1st, 2016
- Coles Platinum No Annual Fee MasterCard
New offer of 10,000 bonus points on sign up. Offer ends 30 September 2016.
September 1st, 2016
Qantas and Woolworths
While Woolworths announced that Woolworths Rewards members could no longer earn Qantas points through the program in late 2015, the supermarket announced that you could indeed earn Qantas Points again later in 2016. As of mid 2016, Woolworths Rewards members will be able to convert Woolworths Dollars into Qantas Points. Please note that Woolworths Dollars can only be earned on orange ticketed items. The program will allow you to automatically convert your Woolworths Dollars to Qantas Points at any time. The conversion rate will see you receive 870 Qantas Points for every 10 Woolworths Dollars. This means that if you average a $100 shop a week, you could earn 5,200 Points just from your normal necessary shop. While Woolworths do teeter off the earn rate from 1 Point per dollar to 0.5 Point after reaching 2,500 Points, you can still earn points (even if it’s at a reduced value). The Woolworths Credit Card is another way you can earn Qantas Points when shopping with Woolworths. The card is connected with the Qantas Frequent Flyer program and offers an earn rate of one Point for every $1 spent for the first $2,500 and 0.5 point afterwards within a statement cycle.
Compare Woolworths Credit Cards
Coles and flybuys
Coles’ flybuys rewards program is another way you can earn points at the checkout, rewarding you with flybuys points per $1 spent. Previously, you could redeem your flybuys points for flights booked through Webjet. Now though, flybuys members can redeem their rewards points for flights with Etihad. When you scan your card at the Coles register, you’ll earn one Etihad Guest Tier Mile for every $1 spent. Members can earn up to 2,500 Etihad tier miles per month. Coles shoppers, on the other hand, can only earn up to 2,500 Etihad Tier Miles per month. You can only earn up to 2,500 Etihad Tier Miles per month.
Compare Coles Credit Cards
Which supermarket frequent flyer partnership is right for me?
To determine which program is right for you, you will need to consider which program correlates with your preferences. You will need to ask yourself the following questions? Do you prefer to shop at Woolworths or Coles? Which Airline do I prefer: Virgin or Qantas? How much do I spend on groceries a week? Does this fall under the price cap of Flybuys or the Woolworths credit card? Once you have an answer to these questions you will be able to determine whether the Flybuys or Woolworths would be better for you.
Credit cards partnered with Qantas and Velocity which earn QFF points and Velocity FF Points on everyday expenses
Even if your preferred supermarket isn’t linked to a frequent flyer program, there are other ways you can earn rewards points on everyday expenses. A frequent flyer credit card is just one of these ways. While there are many competitive cards to choose from, it’s important to compare earn rates, features and fees before applying for a card. Some of your options include:
Virgin Velocity Frequent Flyer credit cards
Direct Credit Cards
Direct Credit Cards. Direct earn Velocity Frequent Flyer cards earn points that go directly to your Velocity account.
- Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer Card. You’ll earn 1 Velocity Point for every dollar you spend up to $1,500 per month on the Velocity Flyer Card, after which every two dollars you spend earn one Velocity Point with an uncapped limit.
- NAB Velocity Rewards Card. If you use the NAB Velocity Rewards card, how many points you could earn will depend on whether you choose an AMEX or Visa card. The Amex card offers 1 Point per dollar spent with a 20,000 capped limit while the Visa card offers a 0.5 earn rate to every dollar spent with a capped limit of 10,000.
- American Express Velocity Escape Card. You can 1 Point on each dollar spent and have an uncapped limit with the AMEX Velocity Escape card.
Indirect earning Velocity cards
Indirect earning Velocity cards. Indirect credit cards allow you to earn Points on an alternative rewards system then transfer them to your Velocity account.
- Suncorp Bank. If you have an eligible Suncorp Bank rewards card, you can transfer Suncorp Rewards points to your Velocity, with 2.5 Suncorp Reward points equalling 1 Velocity point. Note there is a minimum transfer of 25,000 Suncorp Rewards points for this option.
- Diners Club. Diners Club cards have a earn rate of 1 Velocity Point per 1.5 Diners Club Reward points transfers with a minimum of 7,500 Diners Club Reward points per transfer.
- Commonwealth Bank. Earn 1 Velocity Point per 2.5 Commonwealth Awards points transferred with a minimum of 3,600 Commonwealth Awards points must be redeemed for Velocity Points per transfer.
- Citibank. Citibank Gold and Platinum credit card holders can transfer 2 Citi Rewards points for 1 Velocity Point, though you’ll need a minimum of 20,000 Citi Rewards points per transfer. For Citibank Signature, Prestige and CitiBusiness credit cards you’ll earn 1 Velocity Point per 1.5 Citi Rewards points transferred. A minimum of 15,000 Citi points per transfer is required.
- Card Services. Card Services will earn 1 Velocity Point per 2 Card Services Reward points transferred for Card Services Gold and Platinum cards. A minimum of 20,000 Card Services Reward points per transfer is required.
- Bank of Queensland. You can earn 1 Velocity Point per 3 Q Rewards points transferred for Bank of Queensland Platinum credit cards. A minimum of 30,000 Q Reward points per transfer is required on this card.
- ANZ. You will earn 1 Velocity Point per 2.25 ANZ Reward Point transferred with the ANZ Business One Visa.The ANZ Rewards card will earn you 1 Velocity Point per 2.25 ANZ Rewards Points you transfer.
Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards
Direct earning Qantas cards
Direct earning Qantas cards. Direct earn Qantas Frequent Flyer cards earn points directly in the Qantas program.
- American Express (AMEX). AMEX offer three cards, the Qantas Discovery card, Qantas Premium card and the Qantas Discovery Ultimate card. All three cars have an earn rate of 1 Point per $1 spend and an uncapped Points limit.
- ANZ. The ANZ Frequent Flyer card and the ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum card both come as either an AMEX or Visa. For the Frequent Flyer card the Visa earn rate is 0.5 Points per $1 and has a capped limit of 1,500 Points while the Platinum Visa card offers 1 Point per dollar spent and has a capped limit of 3,000 Points. For the Amex cards the Frequent Flyer card offers 0.5 Points on every dollar with a 3,000 Point capped limit and the Platinum card offers 1.5 Points for every dollar spent and a limit of 9,000 Points.
- NAB. NAB offer two cards, the Qantas Rewards and the Qantas Rewards Premium card. The Qantas Rewards card offers 0.5 Points per dollar and a cap of 20,000 Points for Visa cards and an earn rate of 1 Point for every $1 spent with a capped limit of 20,000 Points for Amex cards. The Qantas Rewards Premium card offer 0.5 Points per dollar spent with a capped limit of 25,000 Points for Visa cards and 1.5 Pointer per dollar spent with a capped limit of 25,000 Points on AMEX cards.
- HSBC. The HSBC Platinum Qantas Card offer a earn rate of 1 Point per dollar spent. There is a points earning cap of $2,500 per statement period and 0.5 points will be earned per $1 spent thereafter.
- Westpac. You have a selection of two card from Westpac. The Westpac Altitude card and the Westpac Altitude Platinum card. Firstly, the Altitude card offers a VISA and AMEX card, both have a capped limit of 2,500 Points but the Amex card offers an earn rate of 1 Point per dollar while the Visa cards earn rate is 0.5 Points per dollar. The Altitude Platinum card has a capped POints limit of 3,750 Points for both the AMEX and VISA cards. The earn rate for the VISa card is 0.5 Points per $1 spent on purchases while the AMEx card offers 1 Point for every $1 spent.
Indirect earning Qantas cards
Indirect earning Qantas cards. Points earned on indirect earn cards are credited to a general rewards points system that can then be converted into Qantas Points.
- American Express (AMEX). American Express offer two cards, the AMEX David Jones and the AMEX Platinum card. The AMEX David Jones card allows you to earn 1 Point for every dollar spent with an uncapped limit. The Platinum card also works at an earn rate of 1 Point per $1 spent but has a 300,000 capped Points limit.
- Commonwealth Bank. Commonwealth Bank offer three cards, the Awards, Gold Awards and Platinum Awards cards. The annual fee increases as each increase in tier. The Awards card will earn you 1.5 Points per $1 spent with a capped limit of 50,000. You will earn 2 Points per $1 when you purchase items with the Gold Awards card. The capped Points limit for this card is 125,000. The highest rewarding card is the Platinum card which offers an earn rate of 2.5 Points per dollar spent and has a capped Points limit of 250,000.
- St.George. The St. George Amplify Card offers an uncapped Points limit and you will receive 1 Point per $1 spent.
- BankSA. This BankSA Amplify card also has an earn rate of 1 Point per $1 spent and an uncapped Points earn limit.
- Suncorp. With the Suncorp Bank Clear Options Platinum card you will earn 1.5 Points on every $1 you spend on eligible purchases.
Linking your supermarket loyalty program of credit card to a frequent flyer programs offers a range of rewards for simply making your everyday purchases. To ensure you find a credit card linked with a Frequent Flyer program that is going to be most valuable for you, compare your option son our Frequent Flyer Credit Card page.Back to top