Paying bills can be difficult if you have run into a financial situation, and many times you simply may not know where to turn for help. This article will show you where to go to find that help.
If you are having a hard time paying bills, the first contact you should make is Consumers Affairs Victoria. They will give you helpful advice and information and guide you towards financial counseling if necessary.
Find help paying bills
If you need some help paying bills an ideal place to go is a financial counselling company or person. A financial counselor deals with people on a day-to-day basis that just can’t find enough money to pay their bills. They can work with you and help you find financial answers that you may have never considered. Here are some of the services such a counselor can provide.
- Explain your legal options and rights and give you more information about bankruptcy.
- Negotiate with your creditors on your behalf.
- Refer you to other agencies and organisations if need be.
- Show you how to handle legal action that is threatening to repossess some of your assets.
- Show you ways to recover costs and fines.
- Supply you with information about other government benefits or services such as concessions for household bills, mortgage or rent relief, or bond assistance.
- Explain the potential consequences and your financial options if paying bills is a problem.
- Help you work out payment strategies and start a budget.
Help with bills
Any Australian that is having a hard time paying bills, can get assistance with bottled gas, municipal rates, school fees, heating bills in the winter and energy charges during the year. Let your utility company know about the problem as well, and let them know that you are working on it.
You can get more information about concessions by calling the Department of Human Services information line. They can be called on 1800 658 521. You can also get information about concessions that are available for beneficiaries and concession cardholders at www.dhs.vic.gov.au/concessions.
Another option is to make an application for the Utility Relief Grant. If you are being threatened with a disconnect they may be able to help you out.
It can be very difficult paying bills at certain times, and when things get really rough don’t hesitate to look for help. It is there for you to use, and sometimes everyone needs a little bit of help.