Get rewarded for your everyday spending with a credit card that earns flybuys points.
The Coles flybuys rewards program is Australia’s largest and most popular loyalty program. With an extensive network of partners across almost every industry, the flybuys program offers attractive cross promotions, a myriad of ways to earn rewards points and bonus points and a wide range of redemption possibilities.
Unlike standard airline frequent flyer rewards programs, flybuys lets you redeem your points for a range of rewards including merchandise, travel bookings and frequent flyer point conversions. You may even convert your points into flybuys dollars which can be spent in Coles Group stores including Kmart, Target and Liquorland. In this way, flybuys is a competitive hybrid of supermarket rewards programs and traditional frequent flyer cards. Best of all, it’s completely free to join.
How can I earn flybuys points?
Sign up for your flybuys account online in a few easy steps, fill out the flybuys application form in-store, or contact the flybuys Service Centre at 13 11 16. The flybuys website contains all the information and links you need to manage your account and redemptions. After receiving your distinctive silver flybuys card, remember to scan it at the counter each time you’re shopping in Coles or one of its partner stores. It’s okay if you forget to do this though; you can still contact the Service Centre later if you’ve kept your receipts.
The sizeable flybuys partners network means you can practically earn points on every dollar you’re spending, including grocery shopping, airfares, car rental, energy accounts or even insurance. You earn 1 point per dollar spent at Coles, and with certain partners you can earn as much as 10 flybuys points per dollar spent (e.g. fitbit, Jawbone and Polar). You can visit the flybuys website for a complete list of flybuys partners and the corresponding rewards.
Coles Credit Card Offer with flybuys rewards
Earn flybuys points everywhere you spend with the Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard. Also receive a low interest rate plus no annual fee for the life of the card.
- No Annual Fee ever
- Earn 0.5 flybuys point for every $1 you spend
- 0% p.a. for 6 months on balance transfers*
- 19.99% p.a. on purchases
- Up to 62 days interest free on purchases when you pay the full balance off each month
flybuys Credit Cards Comparison
How can I earn more flybuys points with my credit card?
Both Coles and NAB offer flybuys credit cards, and the Coles Rewards MasterCard gives you the best flybuys points return on each dollar spent. It is linked to your flybuys account, which means you can earn two extra flybuys points per dollar spent, or up to three flybuys points per dollar paying with this card.
How can I earn even more flybuys points on top of that?
The image above shows that taking out an insurance policy with Coles also increases your flybuys earning capacity. This part of the rewards program is called extra points, which provides an incentive to bundle your insurance spending with Coles.
For each policy you sign up for with Coles Comprehensive Car Insurance, Coles Home Insurance, Coles Life Insurance or Coles Landlord Insurance policy, you get an extra point for every dollar spent at Coles. This means you can collect up to 4 extra points for every dollar spent, which takes it to five points per dollar spent when you use your flybuys card in store. That means you can earn 1,000 points by spending only $200. Throw in the Coles Rewards MasterCard that earns you two points for every $1 spent, and you’ll be hauling in a mighty seven points per dollar.
This is probably the fastest way to earn rewards on grocery shopping. At a rate of 7 points to a dollar, after spending just $286, you would earn 2,002 flybuys points. These points could then be redeemed for $10 flybuys dollars off your next in-store purchase at Coles or any of its seven other flybuys shops.
If you’re considering this strategy, note that you can get a discount of up to 15-20% if you sign up for these insurance policies online. Please also note that EXTRA POINTS are capped at 1,000 monthly for each insurance product. Other conditions and exclusions may also apply.
How can I earn flybuys points shopping online?
flybuys now has a dedicated web portal, flybuys eshops, connecting you to hundreds of online partner stores where you can earn flybuy points directly. This online shopping hub is essentially a way for you to swipe your flybuys card from the comfort of your home.
A key feature of flybuys eshops is the “Bonus Point Offers” section, where you can earn bonus flybuy points (e.g. 5 points per $1 spent) when shopping with specific online retailers (purchase conditions apply for individual partner stores). The website also lists discount coupon codes and special purchase promotions for certain online partner stores.
The flybuys points you earn through flybuys eshops will show as “Pending” in your account transaction history within seven working days of your purchase. It can then take 45 to 90 days for the points to be approved and credited to your flybuys account, after which you will receive a confirmation email.
How can I redeem flybuys points and what can I get with them?
As well as redeeming your points for “Money off shop” to spend in Coles or six of the Wesfarmers-owned partner stores (2,000 flybuys points gets you $10 flybuys dollars), there is an extensive flybuys rewards catalogue. It covers home and garden, technology and fashion, lifestyle rewards such as dining, movies, massages and even magazine subscriptions.
For travel junkies, you can also transfer your flybuys points to Velocity Frequent Flyer points or Etihad Guest Miles. There are also various hotel partnerships with reputable properties in major Australian cities, travel deals and theme park tickets.
Some reward offers are labelled “double value” or “extra value” to show that you only need a portion of the points normally needed for that reward. You can redeem rewards using your ‘Points only’, or make up a points shortage with cash by using the “Points plus pay” option. You can make a redemption online using the following steps:
- Log in to your account at www.flybuys.com.au
- Select the “Rewards” tab and browse your options
- Click on the reward you want and follow the prompts to confirm the redemption
Alternatively, you can make a redemption by calling the flybuys Service Centre on 13 11 16 (Monday to Friday, 9am-7pm AET). Shipping is free within Australia.Back to top
What are the pros and cons of the flybuys program?
- Earn points as you spend. A flybuys-linked credit card will reward your everyday credit card spending with flybuys points on top of the points already awarded by flybuys partners.
- Instantly convert points to cash. With flybuys-linked Coles credit cards, you can instantly convert 2,000 flybuys points into $10 off your bill at any Coles supermarket checkout.
- Free membership. Certain frequent flyer programs require that you pay a registration or annual fee, but the flybuys program doesn’t charge such a fee.
- Get more than flights. You don’t have to limit redeeming your flybuys points for flight rewards. You can also look forward to getting gift cards, converting your points to cash, or choosing from an array of merchandise.
- Enjoy bundled discounts. With attractive incentives to spend within the network of flybuys partners, you can save money or earn multiple flybuys points by taking up exclusive partner promotions.
- Few linked credit cards. Not many cards are directly linked to the flybuys program, which limits your choices.
- Higher annual fee for faster earn rate. The Coles Rewards MasterCard charges an $89 annual fee to earn two points for every $1 spent, compared to the Coles No Annual Fee MasterCard which lets you earn one point per $2 spent.
- Limited travel benefits. If you’re looking for benefits like priority check-ins, travel insurance covers, and lounge access, you might be disappointed. Unlike traditional frequent flyer programs, flybuys doesn’t offer these.
- Restrictions. flybuys customers are limited to earning points only with partner merchants, so you’ll want to make sure their chosen partner stores cater for your existing spending habits.
- Expiry. flybuys points and dollars will expire if you fail to earn or redeem points for 12 consecutive months.
While the flybuys rewards program provides a host of options for earning and redeeming rewards points, you may still find that it doesn’t complement your shopping habits if your favourite brands are not a part of the program. Also, if you’re a frequent traveller, you might derive greater benefit from a dedicated frequent flyer program. Either way, it’s always good to research and compare your options before deciding which program suits your needs.
Terms and conditions to be aware of
- Eligibility. You must be 16 and above and have a current Australian residential address to apply for flybuys membership.
- Fees. Membership is free but replacement or additional cards may be charged a fee.
- Additional members. You can add extra members to your account, but points are not transferrable.
- Eligible transactions. Cash advances, credit fees or charges, credits, refunds, reimbursements, business purchases or balance transfers into your account are not eligible for earning flybuys points. Neither are gift cards and smoking/tobacco product purchases.
- $10 Flybuys dollar redemptions. $10 flybuys dollars can be claimed off transactions equal to $10.05 or more, but only one discount may be claimed per transaction.
- Points expiry. Points do not expire unless you have not registered with flybuys (in which case they expire in three months), or unless your account has been inactive for 12 consecutive months. In such an event, your account may also be terminated without notice.
Frequently asked questions
How quickly do points get to my account?
When you shop at major retail partners you can expect the points to be credited in a day or two. Otherwise, the process can take around a week or up to four weeks.
How can I add a cardholder?
You can add a cardholder online. Log in to your account on the flybuys website, go to ‘My account’ and then click the ‘+’ button on the Account Overview page.
What are flybuys dollars?
You can get flybuys dollars in exchange for your flybuys points, at the rate of 10 flybuys Dollars for every 2,000 flybuys points. You can use flybuys dollars to pay for products and services at Coles Supermarkets (including BI-LO), Shell Coles Express, Liquorland, Target, Kmart, Kmart Tyre & Auto Service and First Choice Liquor.
I’ve lost my card... How do I get a new one?
If you want to order a replacement card, give the flybuys Service Centre a call on 13 11 16. Alternatively, you can log in online, go to ‘My Account’, and request a replacement card for the specific cardholder by selecting their profile and that option.
How can I check my points balance?
You can check your points balance by downloading the flybuys toolbar, which displays your flybuys points balance when you’re surfing the internet, downloading the flybuys app for both Apple and Android devices, or logging into your flybuys account through the flybuys website.
How do I change my address or phone number?
You can update your details by calling the flybuys Service Centre on 13 11 16, or by logging into your account online. Go to ‘My Account’, select from the options in the top right hand on the Account Overview page or navigate to the ‘Account Details’ page using the submenu to update any of your details.