Frequent Flyer Credit Card Analysis: Bank of Queensland Platinum
The Bank of Queensland’s Platinum credit card that is issued in partnership with Citibank is of particular value to anybody who frequently uses either international or domestic flights because of its unique Q Rewards program. This is a rewards program that works through a voucher redemption system which allows you to purchase flight vouchers, shopping vouchers and gift cards among others benefits. Points are earned every time an every day purchase is made with the card.
The Q Rewards Program:
- The Bank of Queensland (BOQ) Q Rewards program is free to all card holders. Purchases you make when using your platinum credit card will earn you two rewards points for every dollar you spend. The amount of points you can accumulate are capped at 240,000 but this shouldn’t create any problem as the cap figure is quite high and you would have to spend an annual amount of $120,000 with your card to achieve this amount. What you should keep in mind when accumulating points in any credit card rewards program is that a point does not have the same value as a dollar. You will always have to accumulate quite a large number of points. For instance in order to obtain a $50 gift voucher you will have to amass many thousands of points. In fact you do not want to make the rewards program a reason for taking out your card if you are looking for free flights. However the more you spend with the BOQ platinum credit card the more you will benefit.
- Q Rewards points can be redeemed in a number of ways. You are able to spend them on any Virgin or Jetstar flights, theme park passes, giving donations to charity, purchasing electronics, home ware products, fitness club memberships etc. Another thought to keep in mind however, as far a flights go, is that you may find you can not trade your voucher to an airline for any particular flight that might be convenient to yourself. Flight vouchers are always subjected to flight availability. You are able to get to your Q Rewards points online seven days a week through internet banking. Eligibility is restricted to BOQ credit card holders who are Australian citizens and over 18 years old.
A major promotional innovation for new BOQ Platinum credit card holders is that as soon as you make your first purchase with the card you will be awarded 50,000 Q Rewards as bonus points. To put this into its right perspective a $100 Virgin flight voucher will cost you 27,500 points. Flight Centre vouchers are of the same value.
Bank of Queensland Platinum Credit Card Features
The new Bank of Queensland platinum credit card also comes with higher spending limits than it had previously as well as a most comprehensive travel insurance component. Details of these features are as follows:
- Special low introductory rates. You will only have to pay an interest rate of 20.74% p.a. but you are offered 55 days interest free. Another incentive is that you will only be charged 0% p.a. for 6 months on any balance transfers. If the balance transfer amount is not paid by then you will be charged the cash advance rate of 21.74% p.a. on the amount left unpaid.
- International Travel insurance. You will be covered automatically when you purchase your flight tickets with your Bank of Queensland platinum credit card as will be your family members travelling with you. You and your family members will be insured against; travel cancellations that were not expected; uncapped medical costs; personal liability; damage or loss of personal items.
- Extended warranty insurance. Purchases you make with your card that have a manufacturers warranty of five years or less will receive 12 months of additional warranty.
- Purchase insurance. Most personal items that you buy with your Bank of Queensland platinum credit card will be automatically insured against theft damage or loss for the first three months following the purchase anywhere in the world.
- Foreign exchange rates. There will be a fee of three percent charged when exchanging foreign currency additional to any other charges plus a $5 flat fee for cash advances while offshore.
The Bank of Queensland platinum credit card makes you feel as though you have your very own personal assistant with you 24 hours a day with its second to none concierge service along with its 24 hour a day dedicated customer service. You will also benefit from the four for one bonus points that can be gained when you use the Citibank Dining program and when shopping with their selected car rental, travel and hotel partners. You will find this most competitive card most helpful whether you are a regular airline traveller either within Australia or internationally.
- This card features a solid balance transfer option with 0% interest charged on outstanding balances bought over to the card for 6 months.
- This card has a reasonably high purchase rate of interest compared to other cards in the market.
- At the end of the balance transfer period, the interest charged on any remaining unpaid balance will revert to the cash advance rate of 21.74%.
Was this content helpful to you?
Was this content helpful to you?
Ask a Question About This Card
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards CreditCardFinder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.