Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about HSBC credit cards on Credit Card Finder.
HSBC Holdings is one of the world’s largest banks. The financial institution was founded in London in 1991 and is has headquarters in London, England, United Kingdom. The bank boasts around 89 million customers in its branches located in 85 countries and territories of the world.
One of HSBC’s financial services is their credit card service. The financial institution offers four credit cards that are:
HSBC credit card comparison
Frequently Asked Questions
To make sure you get the most from your HSBC credit card, the following are the frequently asked questions about their credit cards and their answers.
Is there an age requirement for one to apply for an HSBC credit card?
To apply for an HSBC credit card, you must be 18 years old or older. For additional cards for your family members, the cardholder must be at least 16 years old.
Who can apply for a HSBC credit card?
To be eligible for a HSBC credit card you need to at least 18 years of age, a permanent resident of Australia, have a good credit rating and earn more than $20,000 per annum.
What documentation will I need to complete my application?
- Proof of income
- Your employment details
- Details of your current financial commitments
- Proof of your identity
Do HSBC credit cards offer interest free days?
All the cards offered by HSBC come with 55 days of interest free purchases. The interest free purchases are on qualifying purchases only. To benefit from the interest free days, you must pay the month’s closing balances in full and on time.
Do the credit cards offered by HSBC come with reward programs?
Yes. The credit cards do come with reward programs. All the credit cards are automatically enrolled to the bank’s Home&Away Privilege Program. The HSBC Platinum offers Platinum Concierge Service and Platinum Airport Service. The reward points earned can be redeemed for shopping, travel or charitable donations. The points are earned on eligible purchases only.
The HSBC credit card and the HSBC classic card offer the Home&Away Privilege Program. The program lets you save on rental cars, shopping, dining, hotels and more.
For people with the Classic, Premier or Platinum cards, you have access to the HSBC Rewards Plus Program.
The bank’s new credit card, HSBC Platinum Qantas, lets you earn Qantas Points. You get one point for every dollar spent in Australia and two points for every dollar spent overseas. The points are on eligible purchases only. As a sign up bonus, you receive 20,000 free QFF points.
What does 'This program has performed an illegal operation' mean?
The message means that you have probably encountered a General Protection fault.
If you happen to see this message, restart your browser. If restarting the browser does not help, restart your computer and restart the browser. If the two do not solve the problem, contact HSBC.
Can my HSBC reward points expire?
Reward points on all HSBC Rewards Plus programs should be redeemed within 36 months of issue. Any points not redeemed within 36 months will expire. To ensure that your hard-earned reward points don’t expire, HSBC will remind you about points that are about to expire. The reminder is contained at the bottom of your transaction summary.
Are there any benefits of transferring my balance?
Transferring credit card balances of your other cards to an HSBC credit card and closing your other cards has three main benefits.
- You reduce the difficulty that comes with managing different card repayments.
- You can save on interest by choosing a low-interest HSBC credit card.
- You get to enjoy the reward programs that come with HSBC credit cards.
Do HSBC credit cards offer insurance?
How can I make my HSBC credit card repayments?
To make your credit card repayment process easy, the financial institution has a number of ways through which you can make repayments.
- Online repayment
- Phone banking – HSBC 132 152 (+612 9005 8511 if calling from overseas) or HSBC Premier 1300 301 168
- BPAY direct credit payments (Biller Code 17095). To use this means, you have to register for credit cards online or contact the bank’s customer care on 132 152 (+612 9005 8511 if calling from overseas).
- CallPay customer initiated one-off payments.
- EasyPay standing instruction (ongoing) direct debit payments.
- Australia Post. Cash/EFTPOS payments over the counter or Cheque payments over the counter.
- HSBC branch. Cash/EFTPOS payments over the counter or Cheque payments over the counter.
- Mail. Cheque payments through the mail to HSBC Credit Cards PO Box 347, Artarmon, NSW 1570.
How do I activate my HSBC credit card?
To activate your HSBC credit card, follow the following steps;
- Contact the bank’s customer service centre on 132 152 (+612 9005 8511 if calling from overseas).
- Enter your credit card number.
- Follow the prompts to register your account for the bank’s automated banking services.
- Once registered, select the card activation option and follow the prompts. Your Credit Card will be activated once this is completed successfully.