People’s Choice Credit Union, as we know it today, arose from a merger of two great Australian credit unions in 2009. These were the Australian Central and the Savings and Loans credit unions. One result of the merger was an immediate creation of a new giant credit union with over 350,000 members. It also brought with it $7.4 billion in advice under management, including assets.
Big mergers of large financial bodies don’t just happen. They take many months of member consultations, research and planning, including the need for a new name. The name People’s Choice was finally settled on in June 2011 because members agreed it best represented the kind of credit union they now were – a credit union people chose to join. The new credit union was now complete and it emerged doing business as one of the country’s most successful and largest member owned financial organisations. Being member owned is the biggest attribute People’s Choice credit union have going for them. It is what makes it so different to other financial bodies. Banks and most other such organisations have to serve their shareholders first and foremost. People’s Choice credit union doesn’t have any such obligation. Its very own members are its shareholders. It exists to serve its members, all profits it makes in the course of business are returned to members in the form of better or cheaper products.
People’s Choice Give Members Great Value Credit Cards
One such product range purposely designed to assist members handle their financial life easier is its credit cards. It has three in total; the Charity Credit Card, the Visa Credit Card, and the Visa Debit Card. All three have the support of Visa which makes their use practicable world wide, with all the usual Visa flexibility and security protections built in. If we look at each of them one by one you will be better able to evaluate which will suit your lifestyle best.
People’s Choice Credit Union Charity Credit Card
This is essentially a ‘good feeling’ credit card. It gives you the chance to give support to a good cause without you having to make a great effort of your own while doing so. It can become your way of helping in the community as you go about your busy lifestyle. You have the backing of Visa while at the same time do you bit in helping people who need assistance in their daily lives. The charity chosen by People’s Choice to give support to, with the Charity Credit Card, is the ‘Learning for Life’ program initiated by the Smith Family in its work with disadvantaged children. This program helps young people who come from disadvantaged backgrounds stay at school longer. By doing this they can gain access to educational opportunities that would otherwise be denied them. This is often achieved with mentoring programs and scholarships.
What You Stand to Gain From the Charity Credit Card
The benefits of using a People’s Choice Charity Credit Card that you yourself can achieve include the following:
- The ease of switching. You will find it surprisingly easy to switch from another card to the People’s Choice Credit Card.
- Low minimum credit of just $1,000. The low credit limit makes it an ideal card for young people to start with while at the same time learn to care for others who can’t always care for themselves.
- Access to all the main outlets. You can use this card for getting cash out or paying bills through EFTPOS, ATMs, Bank@PostTM, BPAY, or any other biller that takes credit card payments.
- You will benefit from its convenience. You will be able to do your banking online, phone or by SMS and purchase items worldwide because of it being associated with Visa. It also has the latest in chip card technology that gives it cutting edge security.
- Interest free period of 62 days. An important feature if you are trying to avoid paying interest on your purchases. Otherwise there are minimum monthly repayments that have to be made, no matter what.
- You will also receive quick credit approval and monthly statements.
People’s Choice Visa Credit Card
When you take out the People’s Choice Standard Visa Credit Card you will have got yourself a credit card that you can use at over 16 million places throughout the world. Inside Australia there are 24,000 ATM where you can withdraw money as well as at any Australian Post branch that gives access to Bank@Post. You can confidently use this card to pay your bills, your every day living expenses and for withdrawing cash as you need it. And if you are into not paying interest when you can avoid it, you will appreciate the 62 days interest free period, one of the most generous in the industry. There is no application fee involved and the interest rates are most competitive.
People’s Choice Visa Debit Card
The big benefit from having a People’s Choice Visa Debit card is that it too, like the other two cards offered by the credit union, is supported by Visa. This means it will do all that the other cards do, except you will always be using your own money. In this sense it is not a credit card at all. It is the ideal card if you don’t want to build up any debt, or risk getting into a financial position you might have trouble getting out of. You can use your People’s Choice Debit card for online purchases, or access your money from anywhere in the world. And, as the money you will be accessing is your own, you will never have to pay any interest. The only time interest will become involved will be if you are withdrawing from an overdraft you have arranged beforehand.
The benefits derived from having a People’s Choice Visa Debit Card are as follows:
- Easy to switch to from any other card.
- Ability to arrange overdraft with if found necessary.
- Convenient use via online, phone or SMS banking.
- No fees charged if you select ‘credit’ when making payments.
- Includes the latest in chip card technology.