Use KrisFlyer miles by Singapore Airlines for award flights to your favourite destination or flight upgrades to travel in style
KrisFlyer is the reward program of Singapore Airlines. Currently there are two options to earn KrisFlyer miles through credit cards in Australia. New applicants can go for American Express Platinum Edge credit card or American Express Platinum card, which earn reward points on day-to-day expenses. These points can then be transferred to KrisFlyer points (among other rewards) and redeemed for a variety of rewards! Discover how you can earn and redeem your miles here.
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Points Earning Credit Card Comparison
How can I earn KrisFlyer miles?
If you join the KrisFlyer frequent flyer, there are many ways you can rack up points. The most obvious is by travelling with Singapore Airlines. At the time of writing, there is no Singapore Airlines co-branded credit cards in Australia that allow new applicants to earn KrisFlyer miles.
However, if you have the American Express Platinum Edge card or American Express Platinum card, you can earn Membership Rewards on everyday purchases that can then be transferred to KrisFlyer miles. Here’s how can rack up KrisFlyer points with your AMEX card:
- American Express Platinum Edge: This card earns 3 points per dollar spent at major supermarkets, 2 points at major petrol stations, 1 point for all other purchases and 0.5 points on bill payments for utilities or insurance. These points are uncapped and never expire.
- American Express Platinum: Cardholders can earn 3 points at restaurants in Australia, 2 points for expenses on Airlines, accommodation, major cruises and for overseas purchases. All other expenses earn 1 point other than bill payment for utilities, insurance, telecommunication, ATO, etc. which earn 0.5 points. These points are capped at 300,000 after which cardholders earn at a rate of 1.00 point for every dollar spent, except the expenses which earn 0.5 points like bill payment. These points never expire.
Can I earn bonus points?
- Signup bonus points. New applicants for American Express Platinum card receive 100,000 bonus points when they apply by 31 January 2017 and spend $1,500 on the card within 3 months. New applicants for American Express Platinum Edge card receive 10,000 bonus points when they spend $750 on the card within 3 months.
- Supplementary cards. Additional cardholders can also earn points on everyday purchases that will accrue to your account, which can then be transferred to bonus KrisFlyer points for you and your family.
A conversion request needs to be given to convert the points to KrisFlyer Miles. It takes approximately six to eight weeks for these points to be credited to KrisFlyer account.
What can I redeem my points for?
Some of your rewards possibilities include:
- Flight awards. You can use your miles for award flights to your favourite destinations covered by Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and 32 partner airlines worldwide.
- Flight upgrades. Travel in luxury courtesy of flight upgrades paid with points. The miles can be used to upgrade the flights on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir and most airlines in the Star Alliance.
- Mix miles and cash. Don’t let a lack of points or cash ruin your plans. KrisFlyer lets you use a combination of the two to pay for your next airfare with Singapore Airlines or SilkAir on the Singapore Airline website.
- Online savings. When the points are redeemed online they offer greater savings. The miles can be used on the Singapore Air website to get award tickets on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir destinations. Online purchasing provides a saving of 15% when compared to offline options.
- Redemption nominees. Up to five family or friends can be nominated for which KrisFlyer miles are redeemed.
- Convert to velocity points. KrisFlyer miles can also be transferred to Velocity Points. For every 1.35 KrisFlyer miles, members will receive 1 Velocity Point which is credited directly into the Velocity Frequent Flyer Account. A minimum of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles is required for conversion.
How can I become a KrisFlyer member?
You need to be a member of the KrisFlyer program to transfer your credit card points to the program. According to the terms and conditions of American Express cards, members have to opt into the program themselves. Cardholders can directly enrol in the membership of KrisFlyer Miles program.
Following points must be noted before applying:
- No fees. Currently the membership enrolment fee is waived.
- Eligibility. This programme is open for any person above the age of two except where it is prohibited by law.
- Only individuals. Only individual persons are eligible for this programme. One person can have only one account. Corporations and other legal entities cannot enrol as members.
- Expiry of account. The membership is valid for 36 months from the end of the month in which the last activity was registered. After this period the membership will expire. For newly opened accounts, if there is no activity in the first 18 months they will expire.
- Cancellation of membership. Members can cancel this membership by contacting the KrisFlyer customer service team.
What are the pros and cons of using a Singapore Airlines credit card?
- Earn points as you spend. If you use an American Express card, you can earn Membership Rewards (which can then be transferred to KrisFlyer Miles) on everyday purchases. If you’re a regular spender, this can be a good way receive rewards for your spending.
- Flexibility. Singapore Airlines is one of the top three airlines occupying 8.7% of the Australian market, after Qantas (15.9%) and Emirates (9.7%). This means greater flexibility when it comes to choosing your flights. As Singapore Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance, you also have the benefit of earning and redeeming points with their many partners.
- Flight upgrades. These miles can be used for flight upgrades which allow the users to travel in greater comfort.
- Silver and Gold membership. If you build up your points, you could move up the tiers to Silver and Gold membership. These elite tiers offer exclusive perks including higher earn rates, priority boarding and reservations and more.
- Limited availability to Australian cardholders. Currently there are no Singapore Airlines co-branded credit cards available to new Australian applicants. As the Westpac Platinum card partnership with Singapore Airlines is no longer available, cardholder’s only option is using the AMEX Membership Rewards program to convert your points to KrisFlyer Miles.
- Conversion rate. Usually the conversion rate that you’d earn with a direct-earn rewards credit card offers better value for your money than when converting your card rewards points to frequent flyer points.
Using a frequent flyer credit card can be a valuable way to rack up rewards points for everyday expenses. However, considering the limited availability of KrisFlyer direct-earn credit cards, you may need to compare your options before making a decision.Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
Do the miles expire?
The miles are available till the account is active. The account is active for 36 months after the last transaction on the account. If you’re regularly accumulating miles there is no need to worry about expiry of the account. However if the account is dormant for a longer period, you can make minimum transactions on the card to ensure there is no expiry of the account.
Is there an alternative of using the credit card to collect points and then convert them to KrisFlyer miles?
Currently there are no Singapore Airlines co-branded cards in Australia, hence cardholders will need to earn the points on the cards and then convert them to KrisFlyer miles to use them.
They can use KrisFlyer account to directly purchase tickets on Singapore Airlines and its partners. This will add miles according to the flight taken directly to the account. The additional advantage of this approach is a higher earn rate if the customer has an upgraded silver or gold status.
KrisFlyer miles can also be accumulated by using “Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Spree” which is their online portal where goods can be purchased. Purchases made through this portal will earn additional KrisFlyer miles.
What are the conversion rates for different cards?
The conversion rate for different cards would vary. For AMEX it is 1:1. It is 1 KrisFlyer mile for every $2 spent (Visa) on older Westpac cards. Similarly, there are different rates for Citibank rewards, etc.
You should look at the conversion rate for the card as well as the card type as there might be differences between MasterCard, AMEX and Visa types.