Top 20 questions about your 2016 tax return

Information verified correct on October 27th, 2016
tax return

How to get the most out of this year’s tax return.

At the end of the financial year, most Australians have their tax return on their mind. If you want to know how to get more tax back this year, you can use this comprehensive guide for all of the insights, tips and tricks you’ll need.

From how to choose a tax agent and lodge a tax return to claiming work and rental property costs, this guide covers everything you need to know to maximise your tax return in 2016.

20 tips to help you lodge your Australian tax return in 2016

What to know before you lodge your tax return

When is the tax lodge deadline this year?

The tax deadline is 31 October. This is the lodgment due date for the financial year ending 30 June, and gives you 4 months to submit your tax returns if you’re doing it yourself. Tax agents have their own deadlines so it would be a good idea to check with them about when you have to provide information to them. Usually you will still have to submit all your relevant details with a tax agent by the 31 October due date.

I’ve never lodged a tax return

If the 2015-16 financial year is the first time you’ve needed to lodge a tax return, you can do so online by using the Australian Taxation Office’s MyTax service, or by paying a registered accountant to lodge a return on your behalf.

If you think you should have lodged tax returns for previous financial years, you will also need to submit them. You can do this by contacting the ATO on 13 28 61, providing your Tax File Number and asking them which years you have tax returns outstanding. Alternatively, you can contact an accountant or registered tax agent and ask them to check your lodgment status. After that, you will need to submit your tax returns for all outstanding years, either through the MyTax portal or through an accountant.

Do I need receipts for work-related expense claims?

This depends on your job and the type of claim you make. In general, Australians can claim undocumented expenses of up to $300, but you would still need to provide evidence of the purchases if requested. The ATO advises that you keep all relevant records for five years from the time your tax return is lodged, in case you’re asked to provide them. For specific expenses and inquiries, you should refer to the ATO website, phone line or speak to an accountant to make sure you keep the right kinds of records.

Where can I find out more about what to claim?

The ATO is the official source of all tax-related information. It’s website provides free, detailed guides explaining what you can and can’t claim. Accountants will also be able to advise you on specific tax deductions you are eligible for when you lodge your return with them. There is also a wide range of guides available online through various publications and services, but be aware that most of this information is general and may not always apply to you.

What is an assessment sequence number? And where can I find it?

The assessment sequence number is a reference number for your tax return that’s printed at the top of your notice of assessment. The notice of assessment is an itemised statement that shows your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid over the year. It also shows any likely refunds or payments to the ATO. The notice of assessment and the assessment sequence number are provided once your tax return is lodged.

What to know when lodging your tax return

I frequently donate money to charities. Can I claim these with the tax office?

Yes, you can claim a tax deduction equal to your donation amount for eligible donations above $2. The important thing to note is that your choice of charity must be a “deductible gift recipient” (DGR), and your “gift” must truly be a gift, i.e. you shouldn’t get anything in return for it. You can’t claim back the cost of those girl scout cookies, student raffle tickets or that gala fundraising dinner.

What is e-tax pre-fill?

The ATO’s e-tax online service gives you the option to “pre-populate your online tax lodgement form” with data available to the ATO, such as your Pay As You Go (PAYG) payment summaries (previously known as “group certificates”). This option saves you time because all you need to do is review the form and fill out any missing details. Note that as of 1 July 2016, e-tax is being replaced with MyTax, but still includes a pre-fill option.

What do I have to do if I fall into the group of targeted professionals?

In the past, the tax office has yearly targeted specific occupations or industries to make sure the lodgments made are accurate and legitimate. As of 2015, the ATO has taken a broader approach so that anyone can be scrutinised for the claims they make. For instance, in 2016, the ATO will be examining work-related expense claims for overnight travel, motor vehicle expenses for commute between home and work, and claims related to computers, phones and other electronic devices. Every lodged return will be compared to claims made by others in the same occupation and income bracket, and outliers will be queried. The rule is to keep your claims legit, and to keep those receipts in case they’re summoned.

Can I claim my rental property costs?

Yes you can, but only for the period your property was rented or available for rent. To find out exactly what you can claim, visit the rental section of the ATO website.

Are there any capital gains tax for sold properties?

You can make a capital gain or loss on property sold, depending on whether your capital proceeds covered the cost base of that property. You should always declare any gains or losses you make on property previously or currently owned. The ATO will then calculate how much you have to pay, if at all. Capital losses can be used to offset capital gains.

Is bank account interest taxable?

Yes it is. You should receive a statement from your bank showing how much interest you earned in the financial year. Alternatively, you may be able to find your interest earning details by logging in to your Internet banking account and checking your account details or statements there.

How does a same-sex relationship get taxed?

As of 1 July 2009, same-sex couples have been treated in the same way as any other couple for income tax and superannuation purposes. This means if you and your partner live together “on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple”, your partner’s income and superannuation details will need to be included on your tax return and could affect your refund or payment amount. Refer to the ATO website’s guide to “spouse details” for more information on what relationship information you need to provide on your tax return.

How about the contribution to my first home saver account?

The First Home Saver Account (FHSA) scheme was abolished effective 1 July 2015. If you have an existing FHSA account, you have until 30 June 2017 to lodge your claim on any government contributions you might be eligible to claim. Consult the ATO website or your state government for more details.

How can I check whether my tax agent is legit, i.e. registered?

You could ask to see their Certificate of Registration of Tax Agent, but a better way would be to check the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) Register on the TPB website.

Can I receive free help with my tax return?

If your income is around $50,000 or less for the financial year, you might be eligible for the ATO’s Tax Help program, where a trained volunteer will help you complete your tax return. Call 13 28 61 to find out more. Otherwise, tax accountant fees are always deductible too.

Is there free help for businesses to lodge a tax return?

Australian business owners can get free tax support for help with managing their taxes. You can get free support over the phone by calling the ATO on 13 28 61.

How can I lodge a Family Tax Benefit claim?

You can claim a Family Tax Benefit (FTB) as either a fortnightly payment or as a lump sum at the end of each financial year. If you’re eligible for FTB payments, you can submit a claim online via the myGov website, or in person at a Centrelink office. Note that changes have been made to FTB that are effective as of 1 July 2016, including eligibility requirements. Key revisions include:

  • FTB Part B. If you are a member of a couple and have a child (or children) of 13 years of age or older, you are no longer eligible for this benefit.
  • Large family supplement. This supplement ended as of 1 July 2016.
  • Payments while travelling. From 1 July 2016, you will only be able to receive FTB, childcare payments or the Double Orphan pension for a period of 6 weeks while temporarily overseas. Prior to this date, payments were available for up to 56 weeks.

Can I claim children school expenses under the Education Tax Refund?

The Education Tax Refund (ETR) was replaced by the Schoolkids Bonus as of 1 January 2013. If you receive Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A for a dependent child at school and meet the income test requirement, you would be eligible for claims under the Schoolkids Bonus. Note that the Schoolkids Bonus is also being phased out, with its last instalment in July 2016.

What to know after you’ve lodged your tax return

Can I amend mistakes made on my tax lodgement?

If you realise that you’ve made a mistake while lodging your tax return, you can lodge an amendment online via the myGov website, by form or through your accountant. You’ll get a tax refund if the amendment reduces your tax owed, but you’ll have to pay the outstanding amount if it increases your tax owed. You could also be liable to pay a penalty and interest, but the tax office may be lenient because of your voluntary disclosure.

How do I get my refund? And when will I get it?

You can choose to receive a cheque or direct credit to your nominated bank account. If you’re desperate for a fast refund, then lodging your return online via MyTax (formerly e-tax) is your best bet. Most tax refunds for online lodgments are issued within 12 business days, but paper returns can take up to 50 business days.
After reading these answers, you should now be able to do your return with peace of mind. Remember, help is only an “Ask a Question” post away.

How to choose a tax agent

Now that you know how to get the most out of your tax return, it’s time to compare and choose a tax agent.

Tax agentServicesPerksFees
*As of 1 July 2016, etax is being replaced with MyTax
Tax advice on personal returns, rental properties, capital gains, and more.Entirely online, with functions like auto pre-fill and tax calculator that make things very easy.etax offers multiple services Low income: $38.50, Classic: $55.90, Fast: $67.90, Business: $167.90
H&R BlockServices individuals as well as small, medium, and large businesses.Specialises in service to clients over 60 years old.The fees for assisted online tax returns begin at $70 for under 21s and full-time students under 25
NavadoTax advice for individuals, companies, partnerships, super funds, trusts and charities.Provides tax advice on a variety of client situations.Prices start at $143 for individual tax returns
ITPProvides advice to individuals, businesses, sole traders, partnerships and trusts.Boasts having 240 offices nationwide, and a smartphone app that captures all your receipts for deductions.Varies with complexity of return and calculated on a per-quote basis.
TaxbackCaters to backpackers, students, foreign workers and business owners.Get an instant free tax refund estimation online, and also pay nothing until return is complete.Non-resident: $87 + handling fee, Resident: 9% of refund (minimum $99) + handling fee Citizen: $99
Tax return 24/7Deals with backpacker tax backs, individual and company tax returns.Maximum refund guaranteed in an easy process—10 minutes over the phone.Basic individual: $99 + fees for additional services. Businesses: $200-$1,200
Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

10 Responses to Top 20 questions about your 2016 tax return

  1. Default Gravatar
    Carthik | July 31, 2016

    Hi All,

    I’m an employee of an organization. However, my employer doesn’t have an office in Australia. I almost always work from home. I live in a rented 2 bed apartment. The 2nd bedroom is my office. I did a lot of research on the ATO website, and found nothing clearly states my position/situation. Am I eligible to claim occupancy expenses ? I know for certain i can claim other expenses such as ( Heating, Cooling, Phone, Internet etc… ) Please advise ?

    • Staff
      May | August 1, 2016

      Hi Cathik,

      Thanks for your question. Please be advised that you’ve come through to we are an Australian financial comparison website and general information service. We are not tax experts and can only offer a generalised advice.

      As for your concern, I suggest that you speak to a tax agent who will be able to provide you with an expert advice about tax that is based on your personal situation.


  2. Default Gravatar
    Lanny | December 24, 2015

    Useful info. Fortunate me I found your web site by chance, and I am surprised why this twist of fate didn’t came about in advance! I bookmarked it.


    • Staff
      Ysa | December 28, 2015

      Hi Lanny, thanks for your leaving your feedback.

      We’re happy to assist again with any general questions you may have in the future.


  3. Default Gravatar
    am | March 24, 2015

    I am international student and having part time job, my wife does not work, is there any extra tax return for this case?


    • Staff
      Jonathan | March 24, 2015

      Hi am, thanks for getting in touch with us!

      Since is a comparison service it would be best to get in contact with a professional accounting service to best advise on your tax deduction options.



  4. Default Gravatar
    David | February 16, 2015

    Hi There,

    I have been wondering how to or whether I should have different tax deduction as I am the only income at home ( my wife is a house wife and has not been working for the last 18 months). Do you know about this and can you guide me through.



    • Staff
      Jonathan | February 16, 2015

      Hi David, thanks for your inquiry!

      Please note that is an online comparison service, we are only licensed to provide general advice regarding the products we display. It would be best to speak to a certified accountant to best optimise your tax options.



  5. Default Gravatar
    John | July 12, 2014

    When you mention above that we can only claim a maximum of $300 for work related expenses before needing to provide a you mean 300 per section..for example:
    Work-related car expenses
    Work-related travel expenses
    Work-related self-education expenses
    Other work-related expenses
    Work-related uniform expenses

    or do you mean a max of $300 for all of these combined???

    • Staff
      Shirley | July 14, 2014

      Hi John,

      Thanks for your question.

      It refers to the total of expenses combined – if your total claim for all work-related expenses exceeds $300, you must have written evidence.

      I’ve emailed you a page from the ATO with more information about this.


Credit Cards Comparison

Rates last updated October 27th, 2016
Purchase rate (p.a.) Balance transfer rate (p.a.) Annual fee
Virgin Australia Velocity Flyer Card - Balance Transfer Offer
Enjoy a 0% p.a. balance transfer offer for 18 months and also earn 2 bonus Velocity Points in the first 3 months on everyday spend.
20.74% p.a. 0% p.a. for 18 months $64 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($129 p.a. thereafter) Go to site More info
ME Bank frank Credit Card
Enjoy a low and consistent interest rate on purchases and cash advances, combined with no annual fee.
11.99% p.a. $0 p.a. Go to site More info
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
Receive a full annual fee refund and save $149 if you meet the $6,000 spend requirement. Enjoy a balance transfer offer and platinum card benefits such as complimentary insurances and concierge services.
19.99% p.a. 0% p.a. for 15 months $149 p.a. Go to site More info
NAB Low Rate Credit Card
The NAB Low Rate Card offers 0% p.a. on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. This card also comes with a low annual fee.
0% p.a. for 15 months (reverts to 13.99% p.a.) 0% p.a. for 15 months with a one off 3% balance transfer fee $59 p.a. Go to site More info

* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.

Ask a question