As an addition to the main Westpac security services that cover against fraud on your credit card, Westpac also recommends that customers sign up to MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa.
These are designed to provide an extra level of security when shopping online between your inputting your card details and the purchase being authorised. Without these measures, a credit card that has been lost or stolen that the customer doesn’t realise has gone can be used to make online purchases.
All the unauthorised person requires to bypass the standard Westpac security services is to not make any unusually large purchases, or make sudden multiple purchases, that might catch the attention of the 24/7 Falcon fraud monitoring software.
Both MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa are voluntary schemes for customers and merchants alike, but more people are registering on both sides of the equation as they realise the benefits of this fraud-busting measure. You may also find that merchants who are registered will require potential customers to also register before they can make purchases. Registering for either or both of these schemes can be done via Westpac’s Added Online Security service, or via the official Visa and MasterCard websites.
How do MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa differ from the regular Westpac security services?
With the heightened security that comes with being registered, your identity is easily confirmed with participating retailers much as you need to input your PIN when withdrawing cash from an ATM or making an in-store purchase with PIN or pen.
Low Interest Credit Card from Westpac
If you are looking for a no-frills credit card from Westpac, that would not break the bank, the Westpac Low Rate is a great option to consider. It also features a balance transfer option, if you are looking to consolidate your existing credit cards in to one.
- $59 p.a. annual fee
- 1% p.a. for 12 months (reverts to 13.49% p.a.) on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 18 months on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 21.49% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $15,000 p.a.
It only takes 2 minutes to enhance the existing Westpac security services by registering your Westpac MasterCard or Westpac Visa credit card with the relevant schemes. You will be asked to set up:
- A new password
- A personal assurance message (PAM) – This is a short phrase or quote that will appear during the online checkout process at participating merchants so that you know you are shopping with a genuine retailer. You may choose something like: “My first dog was a lab”, for example. Once you see this, you can go ahead with confidence and input your password.
- A security question and answer, in case you ever need to contact MasterCard or Visa so they can confirm your identity.
Your password, personal assurance message and security question/answer should only be known to you. These are not to be given direct to the online merchant, and inputting them will not allow the retailer to see them.
Once registered, any time you use your card to make a purchase at a participating online retailer, a pop-up screen from Westpac security services will appear displaying your unique PAM and asking for your password. You just need to confirm the PAM, enter your password, and then proceed with the purchase.