Compare the different Westpac credit cards so you can get more and pay less.
Westpac have an award winning and reputable range of credit cards. There are low interest rate credit cards, great balance transfer deals and a range of rewards cards. Westpac is Australia’s third leading credit card issuer.
Westpac is an awarded financial institution. They’ve been recognised for offering value products and for their socially responsible approach to banking.
- Cheapest balance transfer 2012 & 2013. Awarded to Westpac two years running for their Low Rate Credit Card in Money Magazine’s Best of the Best Awards.
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World. Westpac were ranked among the leading 100 sustainable companies in the world in 2014 at the World Economic Forum.
- Socially responsible bank of the year. Money Magazine’s Consumer Finance Awards named the Westpac Group as the Socially Responsible Bank of the Year in 2014.
Westpac Credit Card Offer
Pay no annual fee for the first year with the Westpac 55 Day Platinum credit card and receive a low rate balance transfer offer of 0% p.a. for 16 months.
- $0 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($90 p.a. thereafter) annual fee
- 19.84% p.a. on purchases
- 0% p.a. for 16 months on balance transfers
- Cash Advance Rate of 21.29% p.a.
- Up to 55 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $30,000 p.a.
Comparison of Westpac Bank Credit Cards
Rates last updated May 27th, 2016.
- Westpac 55 Day Credit Card
Balance transfer and annual fee offers have been extended until 6 July 2016.
May 2nd, 2016
- Westpac 55 Day Platinum Credit Card
Balance transfer and annual fee offer have been extended until 6 July 2016.
May 2nd, 2016
- Westpac Altitude Card
Balance transfer offer have been extended until 6 July 2016.
May 2nd, 2016
Types of credit cards from Westpac
Whether you like to get rewarded or you simply want a credit card with a low fee or a low rate, Westpac offers a number of credit cards that cater to the needs of most consumers. Have a look at the different types of Westpac credit cards in the product tables below.
Balance transfer credit cards
You can apply for balance transfers when you apply for a Westpac credit card. Once your application is approved, it can take up to six days for the card to arrive and an extra two days for the balance transfer to be finalised. See our step-by-step guide to completing a balance transfer with Westpac.
Low rate & low fee credit cards
Westpac have been recognised for providing value for money within the low rate credit card category. Their Low Rate Credit Card was awarded Money Magazine’s cheapest balance transfer two years running. These types of accounts are characterised by either a low ongoing purchase rate of interest, or a low annual fee, or both. Westpac’s low rate and low fee credit cards are perfect if you want a no-frills credit card that won’t break the bank.
Rewards credit cards
Westpac Altitude cardholders earn points when they make an eligible purchase. Points can be redeemed for a number of flight and non-flight rewards or transferred to a selected frequent flyer program.
Black credit card
On the other end of the scale to low rate and low fee credit cards are black credit cards. Westpac were the first Australian institution to offer a black credit card to the market. These cards offer the highest tier of frequent flyer or rewards points earning and they’re packed with value adding features like insurance and airport lounge passes, but this all comes at the price of a high annual fee and a high ongoing purchase rate of interest.
The benefits of banking with Westpac
Credit card banking with Westpac can offer you the following perks and benefits.
Choose a Westpac credit card that rewards you with frequent flyer points or Altitude Points when you charge the cost of an eligible purchase to the account. Direct earn frequent flyer credit cards earn you more frequent flyer points when you spend, however, the Westpac Altitude Rewards Program has a larger number of redemption options compared to frequent flyer programs. You’re also able to transfer Altitude Rewards points to selected frequent flyer programs.
Protection from fraud
The Westpac Security Guarantee covers you if you’re the victim of credit card fraud while shopping online.
Westpac Falcon monitors your account for suspicious activity 24/7. If Westpac detect an unusual transaction on your credit card, they’ll get in touch with you to verify it’s you using the card, or block the account if you can’t be contacted.
When you become a Westpac credit card holder, you can use your card to withdraw cash for free at ATMs that are part of the Westpac Group. This includes ATMs offered by Westpac, St.George and the Bank of Melbourne.
Annual Fee Waived
With the Home Loan Premier Advantage Package pay no annual fee on any one of the following credit cards:
- 55 Day
- 55 Day Gold (no longer available)
- 55 Day Platinum Visa
- Altitude (including Altitude Qantas)
- Altitude Platinum (including Altitude Qantas Platinum)
- Altitude Black (including Altitude Qantas Black)
- Earth (no longer available)
- Earth Platinum (no longer available)
- Earth Black (no longer available)
- Low Rate
There is only one fee waiver on a credit card per Premier Advantage package.
How to apply for a Westpac credit card
Check our review and application pages for the eligibility criteria specific to each type of credit card. For example, their black and platinum credit cards have a higher minimum income requirement than their low rate credit cards. Although the eligibility criteria may vary between products, the documentation requirements are the same for most personal credit card applications.
- Personal information. You’re required to provide Westpac with information about your current (and sometime previous) address, your full name, date of birth and details about your current living situation, like whether you have any dependents.
- Financial details. Westpac need information about your finances in order to assess your application for credit. Be prepared to provide information about your income, your employer, whether you have any debt and your ongoing expenses.
- Credit cards. If you want to transfer a balance to a Westpac credit card, you’ll need to provide information about the credit card you want to transfer from.
- Self employed? Self employed applicants are required to provide recent tax returns or their account’s details.
Frequently asked questions
If you have a question about Westpac credit cards, use the form below to get in touch with us. Alternatively, you can check the frequently asked questions about Westpac credit cards for an answer.
How do I transfer a balance to a Westpac credit card when I apply?
To transfer your existing credit card debt to a Westpac credit card under a balance transfer promotion, proceed through the online application as normal, and you’ll be asked whether you want to transfer a balance when it comes to the point of the application where you’re asked about your financial situation. Enter the card number, the amount you want to transfer and select the name of the institution that provides the card.
How much can I transfer to a Westpac credit card?
Have a look at the table on this page for information about the maximum amount you can transfer to a Westpac credit card.
Can i transfer a balance from a Bank of Melbourne or St.George credit card to a Westpac credit card?
What’s the minimum repayment on my Westpac credit card?
You must make a payment to your credit card every month as advised by your monthly statement. Your statement will note when the payment is due and what minimum payment is required. The minimum payment will be equal to 2% of the closing balance or $10, whichever is greater – added on to any unpaid due amount. If you need to move your statement date so it coincides with your pay, then you can call Westpac to discuss this.
How can i repay my westpac credit card?
There are a number of options available to pay your Westpac credit card balance. If you have a Westpac transaction account, you can transfer the fund into your credit card account via the online banking facility. If your main account is with another financial institution, you can pay your Westpac credit card using BPAY, or you can pay your statement in person at a Westpac branch. You can even send a cheque in the mail if this is your preferred payment option.
When is the annual fee charged?
The annual fee is generally charged to the first statement period, and to the anniversary of that statement after that.
Which frequent flyer programs can I transfer my Altitude Rewards points to?
Read our guide on transferring frequent flyer points for information about which frequent flyer programs you can transfer your Altitude Rewards points to.