If you have been going through life only using cash, you may be asking yourself, “When can I get a credit card?”
Maybe you’re young or maybe you have chosen not to use credit but have realised the limitations of being without credit. You can be a credit card holder in short order if you know where to go.
The internet is the most simple and fastest way to get your hands onto a credit card. You are able to apply directly to several different companies from various websites or from the card provider’s site itself. In fact, from start to finish, to process lasts only 10-15 minutes. After filling out the online, you should receive a response about your approval status within 1 minute.
Before getting started
Before you begin your quest for a credit card, you should take the time to have all of your information available. This is important for a couple of reasons.
- It will make the process easier and go much more quickly.
- You will not run the risk of “timing out” the application while looking for information you did not have available to you.
The “timing out” factor is a very real risk. Most applications will “time out” after 15 or 20 minutes if there is no activity on the site. This will require you to start the whole process over again.
Information you need to have available
If you have asked, “When can I get a credit card?” then you need to read clearly below about all that you must have ready. Most of the applications for credit cards ask for standard information. You should have the following data available and ready before you get started.
- Personal information. This means your full name along with your date of birth and home address. Additional contact information required is your email address and phone numbers for home and your mobile phone(s). If you have another person who would like to share the card with you then they will also have to provide the same information.
- Driver’s licence from Australia (if applicable)
- Financial information. Credit card companies have income requirements that help to determine your eligibility. The lowest amount required is at least $15,000. This is for a regular credit card. If you are applying for a gold or platinum card then you will need to have a higher income.
- Assets and liabilities. You will need to provide details of what kinds of debts and assets you have.
- Employment information. You must provide employment information such as the name and address of the company and contact details.
The only caveat to this process is that you must be at 18 years old or older, be a permanent resident of Australia and have a decent credit history in order to be eligible for a credit card. If you fulfill these requirements then you can take the guesswork out of the question of, “When can I get a credit card?”Back to top