The main players in the retail rewards credit card field are Woolworths, Myer, and David Jones. Although many regular reward schemes offer shopping vouchers as options for points redemption, these three stores are the ones that issue credit cards specifically affiliated to a named store. These should not be confused with simple store cards.
The concept behind these retail reward credit cards is that the customer is rewarded for their loyalty to these brands, and to certain partner companies, where a higher points-to-dollar ratio can be achieved, but they can also receive points for spending money on any purchase at any other location.
A good way to understand how these credit cards work is to look at the main features of each one. One thing they all have in common is that you can earn points no matter where you shop, but you will earn more at the home store, and the end result of your points is that you will receive vouchers to spend in the home store.
This American Express retail reward credit card offers:
- Two points per dollar shopping in-store at David Jones
- 1.5 gift points per dollar when shopping elsewhere
- Points redemption for David Jones Gift Cards
- Travel options with Qantas and a range of leading airlines
- No points capping or expiry
- 30,000 Membership Rewards points or 30,000 Qantas Points when you spend outside of store 3 times in the first month.
Retail Rewards Credit Card Offer
The American Express David Jones Credit Card is perfect for those who love shopping at David Jones and retail stores. By changing the way you pay for retail purchases you can be rewarded for every dollar you spend. Bonus Gift Points offer when you spend outside David Jones.
- $99 p.a. annual fee
- 20.74% p.a. on purchases
- Up to 44 days interest free
- Minimum Income Requirement of $40,000 p.a.
Woolworths Money Everyday Platinum credit card
This retail rewards credit card is a MasterCard issued by the Macquarie Bank and offers:
- Earn 3 points for every dollar spent when buying select products at Woolworths Supermarkets and BWS. Earn 2 points for every dollar spent on items you buy at Woolworths Supermarkets, BWS, Caltex and Woolworths co-branded fuel outlets, Dan Murphy’s, and more.
- 2 points per dollar spent on other products purchased at Woolworths or Safeway Supermarkets, Caltex Woolworths/Safeway co-branded fuel outlets, epump, Woolworths/Safeway Liquor, BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Thomas Dux, and participating Dick Smith and Tandy stores
- 1 point per dollar spent on other purchases
- Points that are redeemable for shopping cards for use at any number of stores under the Woolworths group umbrella
Myer Visa credit card
This Visa retail reward credit card is issued by Latitude Financial Services, and offers:
- 3 Myer shopping credits per dollar in Myer stores
- One Myer shopping credit per dollar everywhere else
- Every 2000 Shopping Credits = $20 Myer Gift Card
- Up to 62 days interest-free on purchases
- Regular interest-free offers
- An annual fee of $69
A recent Choice survey judged the Woolworths Money Everyday MasterCard to be the most versatile of these three retail reward credit cards as there were more options when it came to points redemption, but all three fared well amongst rewards credit cards in general.